top of page

City Officials 2021

Photos by Bannin Creative

Photo Jul 20, 4 20 35 PM.jpg

James Coachman

Photo Jul 26, 5 01 43 PM.jpg

Water Department

Carol Crum


Kellie Free

Council Member District 3

Photo Jul 20, 5 09 55 PM.jpg

Calvin Van Granger

Council Member District 4

Photo Jul 20, 4 29 33 PM.jpg

George Stringer

Council Member District 5


Senior Director

Kasey Morris

Photo Jul 20, 4 14 41 PM.jpg

Jerry Woods

Water Superintendent


Anthony Riddle

Water Assistant

Photo Jul 20, 4 36 17 PM.jpg

Michael Capehart

Council Member District 1

Photo Jul 26, 4 59 01 PM.jpg

Council Member District 2

Angie Hackney

Police Department

Photo Jul 20, 4 43 40 PM.jpg

Tony Money

Police Chief

Photo Jul 20, 4 15 06 PM.jpg

Jim Smith

Colonel / Safety

Photo Jul 20, 5 10 25 PM.jpg

Justin Pearson

Police Officer

About Cottonwood Alabama

Houston County was established in Feb. of 1903, from parts of Henry, Dale, and Geneva Counties. It was named for George Smith Houston, the 24th Governor.  Prior to incorporation the area consisted mostly of pine trees, swampland, and Indians.  Due to the vast amount of pine trees the primary business for the pioneers was turpentine. Mr. W.S. Wood, an influential landowner from Columbia, AL, moved to this area in 1883. He was one of the first residents of what would become the Town of Cottonwood.  Mr. Wood built a general store which is believed to be first business in the area, other than small turpentine mills.  The store was built in the area that is now “downtown” Cottonwood and would later be the original site of the Bank of Cottonwood (1927).  Others followed Mr. Wood into the area and soon the    tiny settlement was a bustling community.  On March 11, 1903 a vote for incorporation was conducted. The results were 43 in favor, 19 opposed.  On April 1, 1903 an election was held for a Mayor and five Aldermen.  Mr. H.P. Calhoun was elected as the first Mayor of the Town of Cottonwood, AL. Quietly disputed and never confirmed is where the name “Cottonwood” came from.  Two theories are 1) from the Wood family name and 2) from a Cottonwood tree that grew near the center of the community.


In the mid 1920’s, a strong interest in crude oil in the area led to drilling. Several attempts failed to reach the crude, but did find a large underground river and a vein of hot mineral water.  Mr. J.R. Sealy capitalized on the hot mineral water and established a health spa to be known worldwide. The Sealy Hot Mineral Spring or Sealy’s well as we locals call it, remained open until fire destroyed it in 2001. The water still flows on the site. Since the founding, the town has experienced the elusive economic roller coaster, as has every small town. But as the last line of our Town Seal reads, we are. . . . . . “Looking Forward to the Future”.

bottom of page